This conference will take an in-depth look at today's biofuels lifecycle. It will focus on issues and innovations that can improve the sustainability of this sector. Increasing demand and competition for grain, energy, water, and other natural resources has called into question the economic, social, and environmental feasibility and ethics of biofuels options for meeting energy needs. However, many innovations have been developed and are being investigated to greatly improve the performance of the biofuels industry. This event will provide a systems-based view of the current and future status of biofuels sustainability.
Dates and Location
Vision and Target Audience
A cross section of researchers, policy makers, students, activists and industry leaders will come together to share and gain perspectives of biofuels issues and innovations as they pertain to sustainability. This event will provide a forum for diverse constituencies to network and developing future directions regarding this important and complex topic.
Agenda & Speakers
Speakers for the conference will include individuals from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Energy, Argonne National Laboratory, as well as university researchers, industry leaders, environmental leaders, and political leaders.
The planned agenda includes four sessions:
- Sustainability Perspectives and Approaches for the Biofuels Industry. Prominent leaders in government, industry and academia present their views regarding the current status of the biofuels industry and approaches for ensuring a sustainable future.
- Biofuels Impacts on Environmental and Societal Resources (panel). This panel will discuss both impacts and mitigation opportunities with respect to the relationship between biofuels production and water consumption, ecological and other societal concerns.
- Sustainability of the Biofuels Business (panel). This panel will discuss the economic feasibility of the existing and future biofuels business models from production through distribution and consumption. Political aspects associated with supporting development of biofuels will be addressed and a third-world case study will be included for comparative purposes.
- Biofuels Innovations and Future Sustainability (panel). This panel will focus on developments with respect to ongoing research that can dramatically improve the sustainability of the biofuels sector.
Advanced registration for the conference is now closed. On-site registrations will be accepted.
Please use the registration form as your invoice. Phone or fax registrations must have a credit card number. Payment by cash, check, or credit card must accompany all on-site registrations.
If you don't want to register online, you can print the form out and:
- Fax it to: Conferences and Institutes at 217-333-9561 OR
- Mail it to:
Biofuels and Sustainability Conference
University of Illinois
162 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
If you have a registration question, you may contact Amy Hubbard at email@example.com or 217-244-9687.
If you register and find you cannot attend, a refund less a $50 processing fee will be made if you notify the Conference & Institutes office (217-244-9687) by October 10. No refunds can be guaranteed after October 10. You may send a substitute.
The organizers plan to give a limited number of registration scholarships to students so they can attend the conference. If you are interested in more information, send your name via e-mail to Elaine Wolff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blocks of rooms have been held at these hotels for the nights of October 20 & 21, 2008. Mention "Biofuels Conference" when making your reservation. After the rooms are released on September 20, they will only be available on a space-available basis (and rate-available basis).
- I Hotel and Conference Center (conference headquarters)
1900 South First Street
Champaign, IL 61820
Conference Rate: Single or Double - $119.00
Guests may book their reservation on-line by:
- Going to www.StayAtTheI.com and clicking on the orange “attendee code” button
- Insert “attendee code” which is ABIO
- Hawthorn Suites
101 Trade Centre Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
217-398-3400 (It is best to call the hotel directly for reservations; don't use the Hawthorn 800 phone number.)
Conference Rate: Single or Double - $80.00
Complimentary parking is available at the hotel.
For registration information, contact:
Conferences & Institutes
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
302 East John Street, Suite 202
Champaign, Illinois 61820
For program information, contact:
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
1 Hazelwood Dr
Champaign, IL 61820