Senior Research Engineer
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, Illinois 61820
phone: (217) 333-5550
fax: (217) 333-8944
Dr. Junhua Jiang joined in the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) in July 2011 as a Senior Research Engineer in the Applied Research on Industrial and Environmental Systems (ARIES) group at ISTC. His major responsibility is to conduct cutting-edge research and develop interdisciplinary research programs in wide areas of energy storage-conversion, water purification, environmental controls, and green chemical processes. In the last two years, Dr. Jiang (1) set up a lab for electrochemical processes, environmental control and energy storage-conversion; (2) initialized electrochemical processes in ionic liquids as a platform for biofuel production, water purification, waste treatment and energy storage-conversion; and (3) is developing biochar-based energy and environmental materials as a platform for energy storage and water purification and environmental control.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, 1998-2003
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Center for Fuel Cell Technologies & State Key Laboratory of Catalysis, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 1997-1998
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Wuhan University, China, 1997 Dissertation: Applications of Proton-Electrolyte-Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cell Technology to Electrochemical Synthesis.
- B.S., Electrochemical Engineering, College of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Harbin Engineering University, China, 1992
Prior Professional Experience
- 2009-2011 Energy & Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND Research Manager Dr. Jiang's work involved managing tasks and serving as principal investigator in a variety of renewable energy program areas including the development and innovation of advanced power sources, renewable energy storage and conversion technologies, green processes for renewable fuels and chemicals, and advanced energy and environmental materials
- 2005-2009 Energy and Environmental Research Center, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, USA as a Research Scientist/Electrochemist where Dr. Jiang was ecruited to develop research projects and conduct innovative research in the fields of fuel cell technology, hydrogen technology, and environmental control
- 2004-2005 NuVant Systems Inc., Chicago, IL, USA as a Staff Scientist where Dr. Jiang was recruited to develop the company-licensed high throughput technology and fuel cell components, win governmental and industrial grants, and conduct innovative research in the field of fuel cells
- Energy storage-conversion technology
- Fuel cells and hydrogen technology
- Batteries and supercapacitors
- Green-chemistry processes for renewable fuels and chemicals
- Advanced energy and environmental materials
- Micro-to nano-fabrication
- Electrochemical sensors
- Water purification and desalination
- Heterogeneous-catalysis and electro-catalysis
- Electrochemical control and utilization of environmental pollutants
- Electrochemical methods
- Reaction kinetics
- Biochar supercapacitors for energy storage and water purification
- Fabrication of nanostructured materials and components from ionic liquids
- Development of advanced carbon materials from renewable and waste feedstocks
- Electrochemical detection of water contaminants
- Low- and high-temperature fuel cells
- Battery and supercapacitors
- Electrochemical processes for chemical synthesis and environmental control
- Electrochemical detection and sensors
- Nanomaterials preparation and characterization
- Electrochemical materials and components
- Advanced carbon materials for energy storage and water purification
- Surface modification and materials protection
- Electrochemical methods and techniques
- Materials characterization and product analysis techniques
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Electrochemistry Society (ECS)
- International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE)
- Reviewer (20+ Funding agencies and journals):
- ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces
- ACS Petroleum Research Fund
- Advanced Materials
- Bentham eBooks
- DOE SBIR-STTR Program
- ECS Electrochemistry Letters
- ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology
- Electrochemistry Communications
- Electrochimica Acta, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry
- Energy & Fuels
- Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
- Journal of Electrochemistry Society
- Journal of Energy Storage & Conversion
- Journal of Nanoparticle Research
- Journal of New Materials for Electrochemical Systems
- Physica Status Solidi
- Organizer: Leading organizer for the redox and conducting polymer session of the 228th ECS conference
- Development of nano-structured electrocatalysts via step-crystallization of amorphous alloys towards electrochemical reduction of CO2," ¥20,000, 1998.
- Improved Fuel Cell Cathode Catalysts Using Combinatorial Methods, $695,000, 2004-2006.
- PEMFC Catalysts for Direct Methanol Fuel Cells, $68,500, 2004-2005.
- Electrochemical Synthesis of Urea Fertilizer, $60,000, 2005-2006.
- Electrochemical Method for Chloride Removal from Wet FGD Liquids, $40,000, 2007-2008.
- Electrochemical Synthesis of Nitrogen Fertilizers, $140,000, 2007-2008.
- Electrochemical H2 Production from Coal, $120,000, 2008~2009.
- Renewable Electrolytic Nitrogen Fertilizer Production, $400,000, 2008-2009.
- Intermediate-Temperature Alkaline Methanol Fuel Cell, $90,000, 2009-2010.
- Electrochemically Promoted Microbial H2 Production from Biomass and Organic Wastewater, $100,000, 2010-2011.
- High Pressure Electrochemical Hydrogen Purification Process, $200,000, 2010-2011.
- Renewable Electrolytic Ammonia Production from Water and Nitrogen, $600,000, 2010-2012.
- Bichar Supercapactior for Energy Storage and Water Desalination, $50,000, 2012-2013.
Awards and Highlights
- National Postdoctoral Fellowship of China
- ScienceDaily® reported our biochar supercapacitor research titled “Team Uses Forest Waste to Develop Cheaper, Greener Supercapacitors,” on October 23, 2013.
- First author of the article titled “Electrochemical supercapacitor material based on manganese oxide: preparation and characterization,” which was ranked the 2nd hottest article in Electrochemistry, 5th in Chemical Engineering and 15th hottest article in Chemistry, during July to September 2007.
- First author of the article titled “Investigations of fuel cell reactions at the composite microelectrode solid polymer electrolyte interface I. Hydrogen oxidation at the nanostructured Pt Nafion®membrane interface,” which was ranked the 10th hottest article in Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry during July to September 2004.
- First author of the article titled “Electrocatalytic properties of nanoporous PtRu alloy towards the electrooxidation of formic acid,” which was ranked the 4th hottest article in Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry during April to June 2009.
Recent Patants, Publications, and Presentations
- Ted R. Aulich, Ed Olson, Junhua Jiang, Electrochemical process for the production of nitrogen-fertilizers, US 8,152,988 (April 10, 2012).
- Ted R. Aulich, Ed Olson, Junhua Jiang, Electrochemical process for the production of nitrogen-fertilizers, US 8,398,842 (March 19, 2013).
- Peer-review articles
- Junhua Jiang, Lei Zhang, Xinying Wang, Nano-patterning palladium surface-layers through electrochemical deposition and dissolution of zinc in ionic liquid, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, accepted.
- Junhua Jiang, Lei Zhang, Vinay Shanbhag, Improving electrochemical sensitivity of silver electrodes for nitrate detection in neutral and base media through surface nanostructuration, Journal of the Electrochemistry Society, accepted.
- Junhua Jiang, Lei Zhang, Xinying Wang, Nancy Holm, Kishore Rajagopalan, Fanglin Chen, Shuguo Ma, Highly ordered macroporous woody biochar with ultra-high carbon content as supercapacitor electrodes, Electrochimica Acta 113 (2013) 481-489.
- Junhua Jiang, Xinying Wang, Lei Zhang, Nano-Roughening a Pt Disk Microelectrode via Electrochemical Alloying-Dealloying in Ionic Liquid Electrolyte, Electroanalysis 25 (2013) 2015-2020.
- Junhua Jiang, Xinying Wang, Lei Zhang, Nanoporous Gold Microelectrode Prepared from Potential Modulated Electrochemical Alloying-Dealloying in Ionic Liquid, Electrochimica Acta 111 (2013) 114-119.
- Junhua Jiang, John Scott, Xinhuai Ye, Enhancing CO Tolerance of Platinum-Ruthenium with Polyoxometalate Based on a Triple-Functional Mechanism, ECS Electrochemistry Letters 2 (2013) F51-F53.
- Junhua Jiang, John Scott, Andrzej Wieckowski, Direct Evidence of a Triple-path Mechanism of Formate Electrooxidation on Pt Black in Alkaline Media at Varying Temperature (part I, the Electrochemical Studies), Electrochimica Acta 104 (2013) 124-133.
- Junhua Jiang, Xin-huai Ye, Sustainable electrooxidation of bulk CO in the hydrogen region on polyoxometalate-promoted platinum catalyst in acid environment, ECS Electrochemistry Letters, 2 (2013) F19-F21.
- Junhua Jiang, Xin-huai Ye, Efficient electrocatalytic system comprising of aqueous polyoxometalates and nanoporous gold for CO electrooxidation, ECS Electrochemistry Letters, 2 (2012) F1-F3.
- Junhua Jiang, Xinying Wang, Nanostructuring a gold microelectrode through electrochemical alloying-dealloying for nitrite detection, ECS Electrochemistry Letters, 1 (2012) H21-H23.
- Junhua Jiang, Andrzej Wieckowski, Accelerated CO Electrooxidation through a Formate Pathway in Intermediate-Temperature Alkaline Media, Electrochemistry Communications 20 (2012) 121-123.
- Junhua Jiang, Xinying Wang, Fabrication of high-surface nanoporous gold microelectrode, Electrochemistry Communications, 20 (2012) 157-159.
- Junhua Jiang, Andrzej Wieckowski, Temperature Tuned Reaction Pathways of CO Electrooxidation in Alkaline Media, ECS Transactions 45 (2) (2012) 135-141.
- Junhua Jiang, Ted Aulich, High activity and durability of Pt catalyst towards methanol electrooxidation in intermediate temperature alkaline media, Journal of Power Sources 209 (2012) 189-194.
- Junhua Jiang, Andrzej Wieckowski, Prospective direct formate fuel cell, Electrochem. Comm. 18 (2012) 41-43.
- Junhua Jiang, Ted Aulich, Investigations of Intermediate-temperature fuel cell electrocatalysis using a pressurized electrochemical cell, in “Electrochemical Cells - New Advances in Fundamental Researches and Applications”, Chapter 7, pp. 161-78, InTech, 2012.
- Junhua Jiang, Ted Aulich, Intermediate-temperature alkaline methanol fuel cell, ECS Transactions 41 (11) (2012) 27-35.
- Junhua Jiang, Anthony Kucernak, Mass transport and kinetics of electrochemical oxygen reduction at nanostructured platinum electrode and solid polymer electrolyte membrane interface, J. Solid State Electrochem., 16 (2012) 2571-2579.
- J. Jiang, Biochar Fiber Microelectrode with Regular Macropores, Pittcon 2014, March 2-6, 2014, Chicago, IL, USA.
- J. Jiang, Electrochemical Alloying-Dealloying in Ionic Liquids for Fabricating Nanoporous Microelectrodes, 224th ECS Meeting, October 27-31, 2013, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- J. Jiang, Fabrication of Nanoporous Gold Microelectrode Via Electrochemical Alloying-Dealloying, 223rd ECS Meeting, May 12-16, 2013, Toronto, Canada.
- J. Jiang, Progress of Biochar Supercapacitors, 1st Midwest Biochar Conference, June 14, 2013, Champaign, IL.
- J. Jiang, X. Wang, Metal as a Fuel, Naturally Illinois 2012 Expo, March 9-10, 2012, Champaign, IL.
- J. Jiang, X. Wang, J. Scott, Biochar Supercapacitor Electrodes, ISTC Brown Bag Research Seminar, May 17, 2012, Champaign, IL.
- J. Jiang, Biochar Supercapacitor Electrodes â€“ Updates, Illinois Biochar Group Meeting, June 14, 2012, ISTC.
- J. Jiang, Bifunctional formate fuel cell for CO2 utilization and energy storage-conversion, Prairie Lighting Mini-Symposium, September 20, 2012, Champaign, IL, USA.
- J. Jiang, Preliminary evaluation of biochar supercapacitors using non-aqueous electrolyte, Illinois Biochar Group Meeting, November 16, 2012, ISTC.
- J. Jiang, Biochar as promising energy and environmental materials, Prairie Lighting Symposium, November 30, 2012, Champaign, IL.
- J. Jiang, Nanostructured microelectrodes for electrochemical N-sensing, November 30, 2012, Champaign, IL.
- J. Jiang, Ammonia Economy: Opportunities and Challenges, Prairie Lighting Symposium, November 16-17, 2011, Champaign, IL, USA.
- J. Jiang, Temperature tuned reaction pathways of CO electrooxidation in alkaline media, 221st ECS, May 6-11, 2012, Seattle, USA.