ISTC Sponsored Research Projects
Below is a list of projects ISTC has sponsored.
Project # |
Project Title |
Start Date |
1 Project(s) Found
- Evaluation of Zero Blowdown Cooling Towers with Soft Water Makeup
Start: 7/1/14 - Completion: 12/31/15
- Curtiss, Charles; Illinois State Water Survey (PI)
- Miller, Matthew; llinois State Water Survey
- Overmann, Jeremy; llinois State Water Survey
- Project Summary
- Refrigeration, air conditioning, and process heat removal are some of the most ubiquitous operations spread across a variety of sectors such as healthcare, hospitality, education, manufacturing, and real estate that rely on cooling towers to accomplish cooling. This cooling is achieved by water evaporation. Cooling towers, if operated efficiently, perform an indispensable function. However, efficient operation is not the norm resulting in enormous water waste. Typical barriers to achieving efficient operations include availability of skilled water treatment professionals; diligent monitoring; and use of hazardous chemicals. The Illinois State Water Survey (ISWS) seeks to validate the claims of a technology offered by the Water Conservation Technology International (WCTI) company that cooling towers can be maintained and efficiently operated with soft water which could result in a zero blowdown cooling tower. Additionally, the ISWS will investigate integrating cooling tower operations with local wastewater treatment and energy abstraction (which not a WCTI claim).